Revelation Explained

This site contains my personal views on Revelation. I will be teaching through the book verse by verse. My teachings will be from a conservative evangelical background.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Friday, August 12, 2005

Introduction Part 1

The name of this book is significant. The name comes from the first phrase: "The Revelation of Jesus Christ." (King James Version).

The New Testament was written in the common Greek of the first century. The Greek word translated revelation is apokalupsis. This is the root of the English word apocalypse. Sometimes the book of Revelation is referred to as the Apocalypse.

This word means to unveil, disclose, uncover, reveal, make manifest.

Considering the meaning of this word, I find it strange when I see books with titles such as The Key to Understanding Revelation or The Mystery of Revelation Revealed. Revelation is not supposed to have hidden meanings or be a mystery. It was inspired by God to reveal truth to us. God wants us to understand the Book of Revelation.

More about this next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home