Revelation Explained

This site contains my personal views on Revelation. I will be teaching through the book verse by verse. My teachings will be from a conservative evangelical background.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

John's Reaction to the Opening Vision

Revelation chapter one verses nine to twenty describe the vision John had on the island of Patmos. He was worshipping God on Sunday alone when he heard a voice behind him. He turned and saw Jesus dressed as a king of the Middle East walking among seven lampstands holding seven stars in His hand. How did John react to this powerful and unexpected vision?

"And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, 'Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. I am He who lives, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death. Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this. The mystery of the seven stars which you saw in My right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands which you saw are the seven churches." (Revelation 1:17-20 - New King James Version)

John reacted to this vision of Christ as any person would. He fainted out of shock and fear. No one can stand before God without feeling a great sense of sinfulness and apprehension.

Jesus did something which is so typical of the Christ of the Gospels. He reached out His hand and touched John. Throughout His ministry, Jesus touched people. He then tenderly speaks to John.

Jesus speaks of His eternal nature. Jesus died but was resurrected and will never die again. Jesus has authority over death and over the eternal abode of all people.

In verse nineteen, Jesus expands upon His earlier instructions. John is to write about what He has already seen in this vision. He is also to write about the present condition of the churches; this he does in chapters two and three. Finally, he is to write about things that have not yet occurred; this is the rest of Revelation.

Finally, Jesus explains what the lamp stands and stars represent. In my previous post I wrote about these symbols.

This opening vision of Revelation reveals to us the majesty and authority of Jesus. He comes as King to judge His servants and His churches.

This should remind us that Jesus will judge all of us. We need to consider what Jesus will say to us when we stand before Him. We need to be faithful to Christ so that He will say, “Well done My good and faithful servant.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home